Friday, May 22, 2009

Permanent Residence for Parents of U.S. Citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen and you have a parent (or parents) who would like U.S. permanent residence (i.e., a "green card"), you can petition for them. If your parent is outside the United States, your parent will need to apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your parent's home country after the petition has been approved. If your parent is in the United States and is currently in a valid nonimmigrant status, it may be possible to file your parent's application for adjustment of status simultaneously with your immediate relative petition.

For more information about filing an immediate relative petition for a parent and the requirements for your parent to obtain U.S. permanent residence, please contact my office at 651-209-3269.

Naturalization - Fourth Eligibility Requirement

The fourth and final requirement is that the applicant be a person of good moral character for the five (or three as discussed below) years immediately preceding the filing of the naturalization application. The Immigration and Nationality Act lists certain activities which will prohibit a finding of good moral character. Most of these activities relate to illiegal behavior including, but not limited to: prostitution, illegal gambling, possession of a controlled substance and giving false information to receive an immigration benefit. In addition, the applicant will not be found a person of good moral character if he or she has at any time been convicted of an aggravated felony.

If you are thinking about applying for naturalization, but you have a criminal conviction or pleaded guilty to a crime, you should speak to an immigration lawyer before filing the application.